Monday, August 24, 2009

Cruelty

"It takes years to build up trust, but only seconds to destroy it."

There are some days I don't feel human. Other times, I feel so overwhelmingly human, and it's painful. What makes my humanity painful at times is witnessing the outside world, humanity at it's "best" and basic form.

Faccets make a diamond beautiful. Faccets make people imperfect. Place a person you hold dearly on a pedestal and you've created an illusion of this person you would like them to be. However, discover one flaw, whether it be a past action, a secret, or future intention, and that illusion is shattered. It happens to me constantly. I will hold a person in high regard and keep a strong opinion of them, but it only takes one action to destroy them.

People are, as a rule, facceted. Nice and kind to some, cruel and tortuous to others. It is painful to witness what goes on behind other's backs. Backstabbing and gossiping is used to turn others against you, and it is the worst crime.

I wonder how? How can humans be so evil? We study for years, even lifetimes, to be good and how to do what is right. How, then, can one cruel action pass freely? Is it not our nature to be kind?

Cruelty is subtle, but ever present. Witnessing such harshness makes me strive to be a better person, one rumor at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment